Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Review: Radiohead - In Rainbows

Got my email at 1:20am. I was sleeping. Downloaded it and stuck it on my ipod, listened on commute in to work.

After the 1st listen, here is my take.

15 Step - There are a few songs i've heard live on youtube and the like, as well as when they played here last year. This is one of those songs. It's techno-ee, pop-ee. I liked it, and was surprised they opened with it.

Bodysnatchers - Another one i'd heard live. This song rocked pretty hard. At this point I was kind of like "holy shit, they're putting out another Bends".

Nude - Ok, slowing it down now. Starts with typical weird, flowing back-and-forth synth sounds with Tom's falsetto over top. Then it moves into a 70's ballad - but not too weird.

Weird Fishes/Arpeggi - Snappy beats again, but not as aggressive. A bit repetitive at times, but we all know that's part of their MO.

All I Need - A lowkey-piano song. Slow-ish... but at about the 3 minute mark it starts to rock pretty hard. I think that part live will make many people happy.

Faust Arp - This was is pretty different, imo. Acoustic guitar and strings. Tom sings something Jack Johnson might have written (take it easy, i don't mean that it the bad way). It was at this point I realized The Bends was not happening again.

Reckoner - Turn up the treble! More treble, more treble! I think they recorded the beginning of this song under a bridge. I liked this song, I think i'll like it more after a few listens.

House of Cards - This song could have been on Eraser. It sound like Tom is just doing his thing.

Jigsaw Falling into Place - Ohhh I liked this one. It's happy, and the warm group vocal humming make me smile. I want to hum along and I don't know the song. The lyrics amble along with a strong purpose, like an upbeat Wolf at the Door. Probably my favorite song.

Videotape - Slow down exit music. Open with piano and Tom singing. Slowly add bass and a tiny little drum beat. Throw some signature weird sounds in occasionally. Fin!


-------
Overall - Exactly what i expected.

2 comments:

ickibyr said...

This album can be described in no way other than waves of fire crashing into a sound scape shore of emptiness and brilliant white light. Each note reverberates with the frequency of the first drop of blood to be drawn from Jesus' side when the Romans stabbed him on the cross to see if he had past out of our world. The seemingly lugubrious flaunting of the more slowly poetic tracks harken one back to the stillness of space before the big bang only to be lurched into consciousness by the inevitable explosions of the more titanic offerings. Truly the universe smiles on us today.

Chadwick DeVoss said...

Umm hmmm. Exactly.