Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Posting off my pedastal

On my blog I can say whatever. If someone reads it, fine. But I control the information quite a bit here.

Some news and opinion articles have a "comments" area. I am reluctant to post there. Why? It's mostly unregulated. On a news site, generally, the author of the article isn't responding to people in the comments. It's just a forum for people to bitch, and that's just not my cup of tea.

I sort of feel like internet comments make it fine for people to just hate. It somewhat eliminates the internal monologue. Many people should really think before they speak, or type. I am *not* saying people shouldn't say what they mean, or censor themselves at all. I am simply saying, you might want to think about it - if only for a second - before hitting post.

Example: News article about the atomic bomb. Comments lead off with: "Bombing people is a crime and anyone who drops a bomb should be tried as a war criminal!"
Analysis: Really? Did you think that through? No, I don't think so.

No comments: